Vacation season is here and while you are planning your next getaway, spend some time thinking about how to keep your valuable jewelry safe during plane travel and beyond.
Your jewelry is precious and travel precautions are necessary to keep it safe. Take a few minutes to plan your jewelry travel carry-on to avoid these headaches:
- Lost or missing items
- Tangled or damaged jewelry
- Keeping track of what you packed and where you put it
- Attracting the wrong kind of attention when wearing it – choose appropriate pieces for your activities
Plane and Simple
In order to keep it safe from damage, loss or even theft on the plane, use these travel tips for a stress-free trip.
How to pack your jewelry:
- Purchase a travel case to protect your items from damage.
- Consider using a pearl folder for protecting your pearls and other necklaces from scratches.
- Use a straw for keeping chains from tangling. Place half of the necklace into the straw and hook the clasp. Consider purchasing a heavy-duty plastic or metal reusable straw just for this purpose.
Keep items safe on the plane and in the airport:
- Keep your jewelry close to you at all times.
- Only pack your jewelry in your carry-on, never put in a checked bag.
- Consider wearing anything very valuable so that it’s always close to you.
- While in the terminal never leave bag(s) unattended. Always carry it personally and never let drivers or hotel workers handle the bag containing your jewelry.
- Take pictures of all jewelry before the trip.
- Keep your jewelry together in your bag so it can be quickly located when needed.
- Be sure the bag with your jewelry is small enough (like a personal item or large purse) that it won’t need checked if the plane gets too full.
Beyond the Airport
Once you arrive to your hotel, don’t hide it in your luggage when you are out of the room. When you leave the jewelry unattended be sure to use the room safe. Some hotels will offer other security options including a hotel safe. Call ahead to see if this might be an option for your valuables.
Even if you do everything right, accidents can still happen so be sure to purchase jewelry insurance before your next trip. The average homeowner policy doesn’t cover jewelry loss so plan ahead and cover your assets. With the proper insurance and planning you won’t need to leave your favorite jewelry pieces behind on your next getaway. Contact Lavalier today for a personalized jewelry insurance quote.