Your wedding day has come and gone and there is just one decision left to make: Do I solder my rings together or not? Fusing your engagement ring and wedding band together has its pros and cons.
Pros of Soldering
- You reduce wear and tear
When left as separate rings, the two will inevitably rub against each other. By soldering them together you eliminate everyday wear and tear caused by friction.
- They won’t slide around your finger
If you are the type to get annoyed when your rings don’t line up perfectly, soldering might be the option for you. Consider this if you like the channel diamonds on your band to match your engagement ring diamonds.
- They will fit more comfortably
If rings are soldered together you won’t have to worry about your skin getting pinched.
- You have to wear both at once
Are there times when you want to leave the engagement ring at home and wear just your wedding band? Soldering the rings together makes that impossible.
- If you change your mind you need a jeweler to separate them
It is possible to reverse the soldering later on, but there is a small potential for damage. While soldering doesn’t decrease the value, it can make passing them down as separate heirlooms more difficult.
You will be wearing these rings for a lifetime, so if you are still having trouble making a decision, there are a few options that can give you the same solution as soldering without the permanence.
- Look for a connector that can wrap around both rings and hold them together on a temporary basis.
- Purchase a ring guard which can function as a wedding band. This type of band has two halves and you can slip a solitaire engagement ring between the two halves and wear the set as one piece.
Remember that there is no right or wrong answer to the age-old question of soldering. It depends on the design of your ring and your personal preference. Do what makes sense for your lifestyle. Regardless of your choice, be sure all your rings are insured with personalized jewelry insurance. Contact Lavalier for your quote today.
- Should you solder your rings together. www.theknot.com. (Accessed December 15, 2020).
- How to keep rings together without soldering. www.topweddingquestions.com. (Accessed December 15, 2020).