Making an investment in vintage jewelry can give you a beautiful piece that will be in your wardrobe for years to come. However, shopping for an item like this can feel overwhelming with endless options.
Before you start your search, know the right lingo:
- Antique jewelry – this is jewelry that is more than 100 years old.
- Vintage jewelry – this is anything more recent than 100 years.
DOs of Vintage Shopping
When you start out, keep major household jewelry names in mind such as Cartier and CHANEL. These pieces often go up in value so it’s a worthwhile investment. But even an unbranded item can give you high quality at a lower price. Follow these other tips when starting your collection:
- Buy what you love
- Consider if it will stand the test of time
- Look at this as an investment
- Think of it like buying art
- Research what you are buying before you commit
- Be open to unbranded pieces
- Be patient and collect slowly
Starting Your Search
Now that you are ready to begin your hunt for your perfect vintage jewels, it’s time to figure out exactly where to look. Be sure to find respected sellers – ask around or even look for social media groups that discuss this topic. Your best bets to find your new treasure include:
- Second-hand retailers
- Vintage/Antique shows
- Ruby Lane
- Flea markets
- Auction houses
- Pawn shops (these are great if you love the thrill of the chase, though it may take more time)
Don’t be scared to take the leap and know you may make some questionable decisions as you start this new adventure. Be prepared to trade up eventually, and realize that your style might change. But also remember that you will come across some rare finds to make the search worth it. During this hunt you will discover the styles, categories and time periods you like the most. Once you have your first piece, don’t forget to protect your newest treasure and insure it with Lavalier personalized jewelry insurance.
- How to Shop for Vintage Jewelry. www.coveteur.com. (Accessed Oct 20 2020).
- Official DOs and DON’Ts of Shopping Vintage Jewelry. www.whowhatwear.com. (Accessed Oct 20 2020).