What are the appraisal requirements?
Appraisals are required for all items $5,000 or greater. An acceptable appraisal will include the following:
- the name/address of the jewelry store;
- the name/address for whom the appraisal is intended;
- a detailed description of the jewelry including the type of stones, quality, weight, brand names, serial numbers, model numbers, identifying manufacturer’s marks (laser inscription) and the metal of prongs, mountings/settings;
- be dated within the last 18 months;
- the retail replacement cost for the described jewelry;
- signed by the appraiser or store employee authorized to provide appraisals with their written name included;
- Pictures are recommended but not required.
If under $5,000, a detailed sales receipt may submitted provided it includes the metal, types of gemstones or diamonds, carat weight, and quality.